Reservation

About us

All about our history

 

Introduction

 

On the Western edge of Richmond Park and a short walk from the Thames you cannot miss this rejuvenated village pub situated between Ham and Richmond.

The original pub on the site was called the 'Horse and Groom' and served as a posting house on the London to Guildford stagecoach route.

 

In the 1940s this old timber constructed public house, which probably dated from about 1700, was sadly demolished following damage to the building. The public house was rebuilt further back from the road, in a mock Georgian style. An interesting piece of local history is The Petersham lockup, a white-boarded, slate roofed building beside the arch which now leads into the new Forge Lane houses. It gives a glimpse of village life in the late 18th century. Situated in the carpark of the Fox and Duck public house, the lockup was erected in 1787. The Lock-up is Grade 2 listed and in 2004 thanks to the representations made by the Environment Trust for Richmond, the lock-up appeared on the English Heritage list of important buildings at risk.